Introduction to Montessori Method
"Our aim is to not merely make the child understand, and still less to force to memorize, but so to touch is imagination as to enthuse him to his inmost core." -Maria Montessori
Montessori is a philosophy with the fundamental tenet that a child learns best within a social environment, which supports each individual's unique development.
The Montessori Method of education, developed by Dr. Maria Montessori, is a child-centered educational approach based on scientific observations of children from birth to adulthood. Dr. Montessori’s Method has been time tested, with over 100 years of success in diverse cultures throughout the world.
It is a view of the child as one who is naturally eager for knowledge and capable of initiating learning in a supportive, thoughtfully prepared learning environment. It is an approach that values the human spirit and the development of the whole child—physical, social, emotional, cognitive. (credit: American Montessori Society)
To learn more, please visit The American Montessori Society's website.
Famous Montessori-educated students include:
- Larry Page and Sergey Brin: Founders of Google
- Jeff Bezos: Founder of Amazon
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Nobel prize winning author
- Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: First Lady and Doubleday book editor
- Anne Frank: World War II Diarist
- Beyonce Knowles: Singer/songwriter/actress/fashion designer
- Joshua Bell: Violinist
- Alan Rickman: Stage and film actor, director
- Anne Hathaway: Academy Award winning actress
- Julia Child: World-famous french chef
- Princes William and Harry: Sons of Prince Charles and heirs to the British throne
- Chelsea Clinton: Daughter of President Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton